Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Leeks


I am on day 3 of my 12 day REFUEL cleanse with Coach Crystal Bold. It's going great and nothing has been too extreme or crazy for me. I have no doubt it helped that I weened myself off caffeine the past 3 weeks so now going completely caffeine free is not bad at all. The biggest challenge I have run into is learning to cook a few new vegetables-- beets and artichokes to be exact. Overall, the meals are right in line with how I eat through out the week. I am loading up on green leafy vegetables; adding beets, leeks, and artichokes to my diet; making sure all vegetables are organic, and all meat/fish is grass-fed or wild. Fats are limited to avocado, coconut oil, and olive oil. Lastly, all meals are to be cooked at home and no alcohol. Besides learning to cook a few new vegetables, not being able to go out to eat this weekend or grab a drink will be my biggest challenge, but let's be serious, for 12 days anyone can do anything.

My next few posts will provide information on some of my food choices and why they are healthy for you. Today is all about Leeks!

I found amazing tasting leeks at the Farmer's Market this past Saturday. I simply cut them up and add them to the skillet with whatever meat I am cooking. I literally have cooked the entire stalk. I actually prefer them to onions because they're not as strong and pungent and have a slight sweet taste to them. Delish!

5 Benefits of Leeks:
  1. Protects the linings of blood vessels
  2. Helps cleanse the liver
  3. Provides folate
  4. Functions as an antioxidant
  5. Decreases risk of anti-inflammatory diseases

No comments:

Post a Comment