Wednesday, April 24, 2013

PCOS: Iodine


I haven't given an update on my PCOS journey since January. One thing I've learned through all this is patience is a virtue. I wouldn't say I am Miss Instant Gratification, but waiting for a year to see a shift is enough to test anyone's patience.

My supplement regime has changed a little since I first started addressing PCOS from a holistic approach. I have added products from the Poliquin line, and still consistently work with Crystal Bold for my nutritional therapy sessions. One key product we found that was missing was Iodine. I was taking Iodine from the get-go; however, the amount was so far off from what I needed it wasn't doing me any good. I was taking around 5000 mcg (micrograms) a day when in reality I needed at least 50mg (milligrams) and have now increased my dose to 75mg a day. Do the math. I am taking Iodizyme-HP now to get the higher dose.

IODINE 101

Most Americans are deficient in a number of vitamins and minerals due to the processed food consumed, and women are naturally prone to iodine deficiencies. When women are under stress, the need for iodine can double or triple. Most women who have PCOS  are iodine deficient and have adrenal fatigue. Its been proven that low iodine levels cause ovarian cysts (PCOS), insulin resistance, and hypothyroidism (often misdiagnosed as insulin resistance) AND multiple miscarriages! Dr. Flechas has seen improvement with iodine and writes-- iodine deficiency may cause the ovaries to develop cysts, nodules and scar tissue. At its worse this ovarian pathology is very similar to that of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)...the patients have successfully been brought under control with the use of 50mg of iodine per day.

The more I read the more I am learning that PCOS cannot be cured, but the possibility of controlling it long term, simply by supplementing a mineral (iodine) that most have never considered supplementing is very exciting. Low levels of iodine mean your thyroid isn’t functioning properly. The thyroid helps balance hormones, regulate heartbeats, stabilize cholesterol, maintain weight control, encourage muscle growth, keep menstrual cycles regular, provide energy, and even helps you keep a positive mental attitude. I have noticed 1st hand a change in my mood since increasing my iodine.

It's been about a year since I really dove into learning and accepting I have PCOS. I can honestly say I am at a place today where I feel encouraged and see a shift in my body, mind, and spirit. I know managing weight and having kids someday may not be the easiest thing, but in the whole scheme of life, I am blessed beyond measure.

Whatever you are dealing with, I encourage you to stay the course, educate yourself, and keep on keeping on. Share what is happening in your life in the comments section below.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your advice. :) Im taking iodine as well and have started getting regular periods. I also take Symplex f by Standard Process-fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete