Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Why I CrossFit


I have really enjoyed reading Coach Jeff McKinney's posts on The Triune about Why I CrossFit. I started thinking about this more lately with the upcoming competition season and the pressure to compete.

I have been doing CrossFit a little over 4 years, and it has completely changed my life. From my job, to my social circle, to my nutrition, to my training, to my standards...the list could go on for a while. With that being said, I CrossFit because I love the challenge of a workout, pushing my limits,  having fun, and the community--- and, not just any community, my CrossFit Central family.

However, over the past 2 years I have forgotten why I fell in love with the sport. Each year around this time I get so caught up on what I can't do or how much I can't lift, blah, blah, blah and begin to feel inadequate as an athlete and coach, which prevents me from having any fun and simply being alive and present. Not only do I miss out on life; I miss out on offering the best experience to every athlete I coach and all the people I meet. I did a lot of soul searching this weekend and came to a place of peace of why I do what I do.

I CrossFit because it is not about me. It is about the individuals I am impacting daily that I get to coach. It's about seeing my athletes attain their goals.  It's about getting a text, phone call, or Facebook message from a client telling you they PRd on a 5K, a lift, anything. It's about seeing that 1 person have a glimmer of hope that they can lose that 70lbs that's been hanging on them forever. It's about having an impact beyond the 1 individual I'm coaching and watching it trickle over into their personal lives. It is about reshaping the face of Austin.

This year and moving forward, I choose to remember the WHY behind why I CrossFit and hold it dear to my heart.  The picture above is hanging on my mirror now. It is from 3 years ago of me and my friend/client, Michelle. The picture is a reminder of the fun, happiness, ease, and excitement of when career, health, and life are all in balance. On days when I get caught up on where I am lacking, I will look at the picture and remind myself why I CrossFit and to never take the fun out of it.

Why do you CrossFit? Post on the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment