Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Time


 Last night I was reading before I went to bed. I committed to fully reading The Purpose Driven Life this year. I have started it multiple times but never read it all the way to completion, similar to what I do with most books.

The title of Day 16 is What Matters Most. The opening sentence read, "Life is all about love." I continue reading the next 6 pages and am completely convicted by the scripture and statements. What stuck out the most to me and caused me to stop reading immediately and pray was the following passage...

Busyness is a great enemy of relationships. We become preoccupied with making a living, doing our work, paying bills, and accomplishing goals as if these tasks are the point of life. They are not. The point of life is learning to love-- God and people. Life minus love equals zero.

WOW. WOW. and WOW. I am convinced that paragraph was written specifically for me. I  admit one of my biggest struggles is balancing time. Time is a precious gift because there is only a set amount of it. When I give someone my time, I am giving them a portion of my life that I will never get back. My time is my life--- which is the greatest gift I can give to someone.

I leave with this--- I commit to being present and scheduling out time for the people I love most. My family and a few people I work with come to mind first. I am very aware that the individuals in my life who love me the most actually get the least of me, because I expect them to understand my career and personal goals are of "utmost importance." The battle in my head is ambition vs. contentment. I feel if I am not do, do, do & go, go, go then I will get left behind. I may battle this forever, but I believe awareness is key.

I pray each day, "God, whether I get anything else done today, I want to make sure that I spend time loving you and loving other people-- because that's what life is all about I don't want to waste this day."

No comments:

Post a Comment