Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Gratitude List


I started a Gratitude List about 2 weeks ago. I've had numerous people tell me how impactful this simple daily habit is on their lives. Coach Carey Kepler told me about the Gratitude List a good 2 years ago; I read about it in the The Power of Positive Thinking, and then on a Monday night when watching the final episode of Lifeclass with Oprah, Tony Robbins, and Deepak Chopra something clicked. I was sitting on the couch and chose immediately to start a daily Gratitude List.

In a few short weeks this list has opened my eyes to so many things. The goal is to write 5 things you are grateful for each day. On the 1st day I could not stop writing. I wrote well over 10. The irony behind the journal I am recording my Gratitude List is completely entertaining. The journal is one I've had since I moved to Austin in September 2006. I went back and read excerpts from when I first moved to Austin. I could not stop laughing at what I was reading. Friends, my job, boys, life--- all of it now is so ridiculous and I immediately wrote at that moment that I was grateful for how much I've grown and am learning daily about myself. That is one reason why I think journals are so powerful-- reflection and celebration. When I go back and read excerpts from the past it is affirmation that I am on the right track and moving one step closer to my dreams each day.

Today I am grateful for...
  • the freedom to be able to do my computer work and meet with Adam outside on Whole Foods patio
  •  my 1st day back to my track workouts in over 2 months with my new track buddy, tinyFIT
  • all the donations I have received for Fight for Air in less than 24 hours
  • a peace that surpasses all understanding
  • my roommates
I challenge you to start a Gratitude List today, especially if you are someone who thinks their life is absolutely miserable and you are in the pits of despair. You will be amazed at what you will come up with daily. There may be a day where you are simply grateful for the breath you can breathe. Start somewhere. Post in the comments sections what you are grateful for today. Let's do this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment