Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Carb Loading???



Over the past few months I have competed in more 5Ks, 10Ks, adventure races, and even a half-marathon. I am always entertained when I go to these races or attend pre-race parties and hear everyone talking about "carb-loading" the night before the big day, or justifying how they can eat whatever they want post-competition.

NEXT.

Quick recap: The night before the half-marathon I remember eating a regular meal full of green leafy vegetables cooked in coconut oil, grass-fed beef, and avocado. Nothing out of the ordinary. The day of the race I had my normal breakfast of eggs, swiss chard, chicken sausage, and avocado. The only difference for race morning was I ate 1/2 of a banana while walking to the start line. Even post-race nutrition was similar, I drank a protein shake, but also added in some grapes and berries (about 1/2 cup) with my meal of more meat and veggies.

A big question I have been asked is if I consumed lots of water, electrolyte drinks, or goo when running. The answer is a resounding NO. I literally took 1 water break the entire race and never felt the need for an energy jolt of goo. I made certain to hydrate well the week before with lots of water, and it worked.

When you start fueling your body with lean meats, vegetables, good fats, and some fruit, you will be amazed at the results you see physically AND in performance.

The old mentality of "carb-loading" on pasta, bread, rice and eating copious amounts of crap after a race is a faux pas. I challenge you to start moving towards a cleaner way of eating and watch for yourself.

My next race is the Cap10K this Sunday. Are you racing? Check out the Relentless Race Calendar of all the events Relentless Boot Camp & CrossFit Central coaches will be competing and/or attending.

No comments:

Post a Comment