Monday, September 26, 2011

Blink. It's all changed

Me & Baby Maximus
Tell the ones you love that you love them. Simple statement, yet so profound. I spent the weekend visiting my 2-week old nephew (1st experience to be an Aunt), seeing my Nannie & Poppie, then a crazy family reunion with my Mom's side of the family on Sunday.

I go through life 100mph. I prefer to live life that way too. Nothing wrong with it. It's actually who I am, and actually encompasses 3 of my Strengths....FOCUS, Achiever, Arranger. However, I was very present this weekend to the fact that life goes by quickly. In a blink of a moment, everything has changed.

One of my best friends, my brother, is now a Dad. I am so happy for him, but I also know our relationship will forever be different. His son, Maximus, will come first. When I want him to visit for the weekend, it is no longer a quick jump in the car and a road trip to the ATX. When I see an amazing job opportunity for him, there is a child and a girlfriend to consider. When I just want to go grab a drink and shoot the shit with him...well, we know the rest...It is not about him anymore.

I know my grandparents are getting old. Age is inevitable. But to see first-hand your Poppie (grandpa) not the same strong man he used to be, and your Mima (grandma) taken away in an ambulance all in the same weekend, let's just say wake up call.

Life is precious. Time is short. I will not go one day without telling the ones I love how important they are to me. I will seize every opportunity to spend time with the people I care about. You never know when it's the last time you will see that person or if it's the last time you will have the same relationship you once had.

I am thankful for the amazing relationships in my life. I commit to not take advantage of any of them and appreciate and enjoy every moment I have with the ones I love.

Quote for the day: "I will greet this day with love in my heart.  And how will I do this? Henceforth will I look on all things with love and I will be born again.  
 I will love the sun for it warms my bones; yet I will love the rain for it cleanses my spirit.
I will love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars.
 I will welcome happiness for it enlarges my heart; yet I will endure sadness for it opens my soul.
 I will acknowledge rewards for they are my due; yet I will welcome obstacles for they are my challenge."

No comments:

Post a Comment