Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Boot Camp & Marathon Training


I wrote about my experience at the Austin Marathon yesterday. As you can tell from the pics above, my sister, Whitney, and I were sporting the Double C's. Now it's time to celebrate some client success! Mike and Tim are boot campers in the Tu/Th 6:30AM Deep Eddy class. They both competed in the half-marathon this past Sunday and killed it. Mike's goal was 1:45 and he ran 1:36; Tim's goal was under 2 hours and he did it! Check out Mike's recap below.


A major reason I started Relentless Boot Camp was to experience good cardiovascular training that wasn’t focused primarily on running, which has historically led to injuries. Six months of injury free training led me to set a goal of training for and running Austin Half Marathon. I obviously did not want to go back to my old training ways of pounding out the miles.


Instead, I trained by attending Boot Camp twice a week, and doing one run a week of between 3 and 8 miles during the 12 weeks leading up to the race. In total, I ran approximately 80 miles (in addition to Boot Camp) during the 12 weeks.


I found that Boot Camp training has built my cardio endurance far better than the logging mile after mile. My heart rate during Boot Camp often climbs to 93-96% of my max, and usually averages 81-85% of my max during the 50 minute class.


I am happy with the results: no injuries, an efficient training plan, and I achieved my time goal I had set for myself. Thanks Megan!



No comments:

Post a Comment