Monday, April 6, 2009

Heroes


This past Saturday was a full day. Fittest Games Championship. TX Relays. An all-around sports-filled day that I got to spend with my entire family. I loved it! Watching these athletes compete brought chills to my arms.

One of my athletic heroes is Micheal Johnson. I love track. I have read his book, "Slaying the Dragon." Attended every Michael Johnson invitational at Baylor so I could see him. Watched the Olympics, Worlds...any track event where I would see him compete and break records. Seeing an athlete perform unheard of things is one of the greatest feelings and best motivators for me.

Being at UT's track on Saturday for TX Relays brought back so many old memories of being an athlete in high school. Sleeping under the stands so I would not get heat exhaustion. Forcing myself to eat bananas or apples so I would not cramp even though the nerves in my stomach made me just want to throw up. Meeting phenomenal athletes. Competing. Winning. Having fun. It was great to reminisce. I saw athletes break World Records on Saturday in the high jump; a sophomore girl ran a sub 5 minute mile and holds the National record now; my alumni Baylor University ran a 3:02 in the 4x400. AMAZING. I just soaked it all in. This quotes sums it up for me today.

Sometimes we get caught up in our troubles and our problems and we let life slip away, but life is precious, all of life, and one must try to take in as much of it as possible.
- Yanni

WHO IS YOUR HERO? WHAT GETS YOU FIRED UP TO TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL?

No comments:

Post a Comment