Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Frustration Fuels Fire

(pic: 6:00PM Tu/Th Ann Richards boot camp)

"Frustration is the first step towards improvement. I have no incentive to improve if I am content with what I can do and if I'm completely satisfied with my pace, distance, form as a runner. It's only when I face frustration and use it to fuel my dedication that I feel myself moving forwards." ~John "The Penguin" Bingham

One of my 6:30AM Tu/Th Deep Eddy Relentless boot campers shared the above quote with me last week after a workout. She is a long-distance runner and the fast-pace, interval-training with boot camp is a change of pace for her; however, she is attacking each workout with determination and already seeing improvement.

This quote also resonated with me but in a different capacity. I am not a runner so the sentence about "...pace, distance, form as a runner..." does not exactly apply but every other principle absolutely applies to my life. Last Friday every coach at CrossFit Central went through 4 hours of training and coaching of other coaches and clients. We have been preparing, shadowing, studying for this test for months. Friday was D-day. I was proud of myself after it was all said and done! All those hours paid off, but I also saw all the areas that I need to improve.

It is the burning desire, frustration, the lack of contempt, the want to keep on improving that allows me to move forward and grow as a coach. Frustration is not a bad word; Frustration fuels FIRE.


1 comment:

  1. You SHOULD be proud of yourself! You did a great job of explaining your movements and especially at taking the time to examine everyone's form. From a client perspective, it was incredibly cool to see the process of how y'all become the awesome coaches you are!

    ReplyDelete