Monday, June 21, 2010

Paige's Success

May 2008

February 2009

January 2010

March 2010

I have the privilege of coaching my sister, Paige, 2x a week in Relentless Boot Camps. Paige's success story is a transformation from the inside and out. She is a new person physically, mentally, and emotionally. I think that is the beauty of CrossFit. Not only do individuals become more fit than ever, but their lives are truly changed because of it. I could not be more proud of my sister and her journey over the past year. Her story below starts back in college and extends to where she is today. Congrats, Sister Goddess!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.”

This quote represents the mindset I’ve been striving to implement in my life for the past 10 years. Being able to move on from a past that represented a world full of insecurities, disappointments, and struggles that were all based around eating, weight gain, and lack of exercise has been one of the biggest challenges of my life. Admitting that I had a problem, that I had let myself go, and that food was controlling every aspect of my life, was not a comforting issue to face, much less attempt to overcome. It wasn’t until I realized one day that my insecurities and personal struggles were not only affecting me, but they were seeping into my life at work, at home, with friends, and with family. I knew it was time for change, and I knew I was the only one that could make it happen.

I must say, I consider myself extremely fortunate to be blessed with such an amazing sister, Ms. Showout Megan Parsons, so it was somewhat easy to transition into one of her CrossFit Relentless Bootcamps. I say somewhat because once I arrived, I soon realized that I could barely make it through the warm up, refused to do a burpee, and was extremely out of shape and almost in tears. However, I wasn’t going to give up and let myself down once again and my sister as well. I continued participating in the Tuesday/Thursday Dick Nichols Bootcamp twice a week and eventually decided to participate in the Spartan 300 for further accountability. This allowed me to take my 2 days of working out a week up to 5 days a week. It was a total success. I was able to improve my strength, and lose a few pounds and inches along the way.

After this experience, I knew it was time to face my struggles with food and embrace a new, healthy, happy way of eating in order to take my body to the next level. I decided to consistently commit to taking my Advocare supplements. Currently, I take MNS Energy Vitamins, Thermoplus, Catalyst, Spark, and Clear Mood (and yes, it does help clear my mood, ask my family). I then decided to open up the refrigerator and write down every item my sister was eating and purchase all of them (or at least the ones that looked edible). She then proceeded to teach me all about nutrition and I was able to incorporate many other foods as well as new methods of cooking into my nutrition plan. It wasn’t until I started eating much cleaner that I really saw my body transform, and for once in my life I didn’t dread eating or stress about food. I actually enjoyed my meals and was satisfied.

My next step was to continue to challenge myself so I decided to participate in the first Relentless BootCamp Challenge. Not only did I meet some amazing ladies, but I was able to take my body to yet another level, losing more pounds, inches, and body fat; while also learning how to better improve my nutrition. I can honestly say that without the accountability of the CrossFit community; the intense, exciting, competitiveness of the workouts; the lessons in nutrition, goal setting, and living your best life…..I would certainly not be where I am today.

Over the course of 10 years, I have gone from weighing 170 lbs and wearing a size 14, to weighing 138 pounds and wearing a size 7. My struggles with eating have drastically improved and when I feel a relapse coming on, I finally know how to deal with it. My confidence as a woman, as a teacher, as a friend, sister, and daughter has transformed in ways I never could have imagined. My only advice is to never settle, to keep striving for the best you, for the best life that you want to live, and to take it one day at a time.



2 comments:

  1. Y'all are just too cool for school. Can we pleeeeeese see each other in person so I don't have to stalk you via Internet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a transformation, Paige! This is a fantastic accomplishment. Thank you for sharing your journey with the world. I certainly can relate to your story and know so many other people will. Congrats, girl. You are a super-goddess!

    ReplyDelete